St. John’s Church & Cemetery
Located at 5268 the 6th Line of New Tecumseth (between the 15th & 18th sideroads)
St. John’s Anglican Church and Cemetery is situated on lot 17, concession 6, of the Town of New Tecumseth, County of Simcoe, and is the property of the Church of the Evangelists in the Anglican Diocese of Toronto.
On June 5, 1846 a parcel of land, including that on which the Church had been constructed, was granted to the Church Society of the Diocese of Toronto and by then a cemetery had already been started.In 1831 the Rev. R.D. Cartwright, Chaplin to the Bishop of Quebec, visited the area and travelling missionaries recorded good attendance at services held in homes and barns. The congregation of St. John’s was formed in 1833 and the church opened in 1835 to the east of the present site. The first service was held on August 2, 1835 conducted by the Rev. Adam Elliot.
On April 10, 1854 by means of an indenture to Featherstone Lake Osler, Incumbent, and Richard Davis and Robert Crofts, Church Wardens, the property was conveyed to St. John’s Anglican Church, Tecumseth. This property was known as the Glebe Farm and consisted of 200 acres. The first church building was destroyed by fire in 1880 and the present building opened for service on September 25, 1881.
For more about the church and cemetery history and its role in our parish growth, please click here to read A Brief History of Parish of Tecumseth
St. John’s Church Today
St. John’s is now a Chapel of Ease and is used for services as one of the parish places of worship. The high vaulted ceiling, wooden pews and altar, and the sounds of the old organ make the church a beautiful setting for any service. It is also used for both funerals and for weddings from time to time. The building also has tremendous acoustics and has become a venue for concerts and music based services such as those held during the Christmas Season. Some of the concerts that have been held in St. Johns include everything from Baroque performances to Blue Grass. Most summers, we hold Saturday evening services through June, July and August as well as special services throughout the church calendar.
St. Johns can hold about 120 people plus choir and priest. The old building is still in good condition and is constantly undergoing maintenance and upgrades as budget permits. Lately we have replaced all the gardens surrounding the church, refreshed the paint on the road sign and the window frames, reset the front walkway and redone the vestibule. For more information on renting the chapel, email email@example.com
St. John’s Cemetery Today
The cemetery, which is open to all faiths, surrounds St. John’s Church and is not yet close to being at capacity although some sections are now closed to the addition of new plots. The Church is often used for funeral services as well as an annual memorial service that is well attended by friends and families of those buried here.
A semi-circular gravel drive winds through the centre of the cemetery grounds and is lined with maple trees. Throughout the grounds, bushes and trees are used to enhance the natural beauty of the cemetery and strategically placed benches are there upon which to rest and enjoy the peaceful view across rolling farmland.
Recently, the cemetery has also added a memorial garden with benches to allow for visitors to sit and reflect. Along the southern perimeter is a wrought iron fence with three access gates and angle parking for visitors.
The cemetery offers in-ground burial of both full casket and cremation urn. In the past few years the cemetery has added a columbarium with niches that can be purchased for the interment of cremated remains in urns as an alternative to in ground interment.
Recent Events: Our Carols in the Country concert celebrating all things Christmas was a great success. Thanx to our choirmaster Lorne, our choir, soloists Gary, Elaine, Tim and Sean and the readers of The Last Straw. Everyone agreed it was a great afternoon.
We have finally had to say goodbye to an old friend at St. John’s – the church outhouse has been retired. Proudly serving our congregation, visitors and the occasional traveller (some local delivery people were regular visitors at our two-holer when their routes took them by) over many years, it was deemed beyond repair. We are now in the process of determining an appropriate replacement.
Upcoming Events: St. John’s Cemetery held the annual Memorial Service on June 5, 2016.
And check back here from time to time for other events at St. Johns.
If you wish more information about St. John’s Church and/or St. John’s Cemetery, please contact either Larry or Patricia Moore at 905 729 2492 or send us an e-mail.
Summer Services, Saturdays at 5pm in the St. John Chapel (New Time)
A service of Communion, without music, according to the Book of Common Prayer.
2018 dates: June 16, 23, 30 and July 7, 14, 21, 28